Faux Fu

Monday, November 20, 2017

Appreciation is in the eye and ear of the beholder.

This column in Vulture on Louis C.K. ("Louis C.K. is Done"), touches on something that I have been wrestling with a bit.

"When disturbing stories about respected artists come from the distant past, we treat them dispassionately, as just one detail among many. Present-tense or near-present-tense revelations hit us differently because we share the same world as the artist, breathe the same air, feed the same economy. We think of them as contemporaries, even as people we know. This kind of revelation changes the relationship between the artist and the art, in a way that places an unasked-for, unfair burden on the audience. This is what’s happening culturewide. And it’s not the fault of people who didn’t report it, or audiences who aren’t sophisticated enough to separate the art from the artist. It’s the fault of the artists for being secret creeps or criminals, and the fault of the system for making it possible for them to act this way for years without being punished."

How to separate the Art from the Artist? Not sure it can be done. Or I mean, I can't do it. If I find out that an Artist I admire is a horrible person, or has horrible qualities it does destroy my appreciation of the Art. 

I mean, I know all Artists are only Human. Human Beings. And all Human Beings have flaws. Really there are no Saints. Even the Saints, if you probed deep enough, well, I'm sure you could find some creepy, disturbing or disappointing things about them. That's the Human Thing.

Humans are complicated. Confounding. I am always amazed and inspired by the Art that can emerge from Humans. Sometimes the best work is channeled from difficult circumstances. Sometimes that is what gives the work meaning, gravitas.

But there are some things that just can't be overlooked. Sexual Predator? Secret Nazi? Mean to kids and animals? White Supremacist? Racist, Misogynist, Homophobic, Xenophobic? 

Maybe great work can emerge from a Horrible person, yes, I'm sure it happens all the time, but it certainly destroys the connection I have with their Art. Some flaws are just not acceptable. So the "great art" becomes not so great. Appreciation is in the eye and ear of the beholder!

Blog Archive