Faux Fu

Friday, September 27, 2013

The Art and Artlessness of Editing!

Oh yeah, I took this video, three reels of it, of the early days (The first day or two!) of the Windy City Rollers, the all-girl roller skating league.  I shot the video, and then put the reels on a shelf and promptly forgot about them for years. And years.

Yesterday, I rustled through stacks of tape and found the original reels. I do have a shaky hand, but the images and the sound came out pretty good. I did all these interviews of aspiring roller girls. It's pretty interesting. I'm in the process of editing it all into a movie now.

I think it's gonna be a pretty raw, Cinema Verite kind of thing.  Editing is an interesting art. Do I let the camera linger, wander, and let "dead air" into the frame? Or do I nip and tuck and make it smooth and neat?

I'm thinking the lingering and wandering is really, really cool... 

Blog Archive