I picked a bunch of tunes to do without thinking too hard, they are just some of the favorites that immediately popped into my head. Upon reflection, I'm thinking there is a theme. Here are my picks with my capsule descriptions:
1. Needle and the Damage Done - a short acoustic ditty about heroin addiction and early death.
2. Tonight's the Night - a haunting D minor tune about heroin addiction and early death.
3. Powderfinger - a haunting, mytho-poetic novella in song-form about violent death on the river.
4. Down By the River - a lament, and an extended jam about violent death on the river.
5. Fucking Up - a raucous rocker about fucking up!
6. Cowgirl in the Sand - a glorious anthem about (I think!) a relationship gone south.
That's the mini-set. Should be a raucous night of good fun! Gloriously sad and mournful too!