Saturday, June 03, 2017
A Secret Garden
We all need a secret garden. A private space, to get away from the hubbub and hurly-burly. I am really good at exiting the day to day; with music, books, long walks, grand and fabulous thought-trains.
Lately, in my musical space, I have been spending obsessive amounts of time close-listening to Joy Division, based in Manchester, England, 1976-1980. Three records - the two full studio releases Unknown Pleasures, and Closer, as well as a collection of singles & b-sides released in 1988.
Of course, I've also read books by Peter Hook, Bernard Sumner and Debbie Curtis. And seen the fabulous movie 24 Hour Party People. So I am well-steeped in the myths and realities of Manchester, the death of Ian Curtis, the growing legend of his band.
The music stands on it's own. And it pays to close-listen. I never grow tired of listening. The music continues to intrigue and haunt me. It's dark, moody, atmospheric, important. For sure. I do believe the band never made a false move artistically. They were doomed and fated to a short window to make music, but the music they made is truly extraordinary. As their brilliant, mad-man Producer Martin Hannett called it: "adult gothic music."
Joy Division's records exist in a special place. A secret garden. Hermetically-sealed off from the rest of the world, sort of like brilliant, monochrome butterflies captured and preserved under glass.
- Intuition is a Thorny Subject!
- A Brutal Bill!
- Silence in the Midst of Babel!
- Reality & Pain!
- Cheeky Monkeys!
- The Highest Calling!
- A Refreshing Sleep.
- Easy to Be Engulfed in Flame Too!
- Morning Musical Question...
- "Zero to Obstruction in 5 Months!" - Josh Marshall...
- He is not sensible, honest or reasonable.
- A JLB Kind of Day...
- There are Simple Truths, Harsh Realities, Things W...
- But really, I mean, hell, well, god help us all......
- Stunning, Devastating & Persuasive!
- How long will these folks pretend, deny, enable, m...
- Glued to the TV!
- Take Your Pick!
- How Not to Be Decent!
- "A Pustule of Ego" Plunges into the Dungheap!
- A Secret Garden
- Gratuitous Bullshit!
- I Fear a War of Attrition...
- ▼ June (24)
- ► 2016 (366)
- ► 2015 (365)
- ► 2014 (365)
- ► 2013 (365)
- ► 2012 (366)
- ► 2011 (365)
- ► 2010 (370)
- ► 2009 (366)
- ► 2008 (360)
- ► 2007 (285)
- ► 2006 (183)
- ► 2005 (350)