Faux Fu

Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Dream Eno.

During lockdown, I have been obsessively, learning, navigating and playing a mini-Moog synthesizer. Funny. I have always been about organic, authentic r&r. I play a Fender Telecaster and a Hohner Jumbo acoustic. I own an old tube amp. I am all about playing live in the moment with other musicians in a room. That's how our band rehearses, how we play out, how we have made all of our recordings.

But in lockdown, I am left to my own devices.

So as a lark, a goof, a kick, I decided to learn something totally new and different. I am deep down the rabbit hole now, creating weird and moody soundscapes. It is amazing, the mini-Moog synth seems to have an infinite number of sounds. So many dials and settings. I spin the switches and see what happens.

Not sure what I will do with all the tracks I am creating. I am just in the mode of creation. It's a good way to occupy my time.

Lately, I have been listening to lots of music featuring synths. New Order, Brian Eno, Danger Mouse. Last night, Brian Eno visited me in my dreams. Yes, my Dream Eno came to me and said: "The world is a mad swirl of sound."

Dream Eno, you are so right...

The a.m. soundtrack - David Bowie's "Lodger" (1979). I just purchased this record. It came in the mail yesterday. I'm only a couple decades late to the party. It's the third record in the Berlin Trilogy. Strange. It was recorded in Switzerland. Close enough to Berlin, I suppose. I do get it, though, it's kind of a continuation of the sonic experiments Bowie initiated on "Low" and "Heroes." David is in great voice. It's another unique & original collaboration with Brian Eno. Produced by Tony Visconti. It's sounds great. Fabulous musicianship. It's a bit experimental. Spiky. Arty. All of these tracks are new to me. They weren't played on the radio very much. Fresh. "Complex and rewarding." Yes. Indeed.

Blog Archive