Faux Fu

Sunday, May 31, 2020

A Better, More Just, Equal & Loving Union.

I am a writer. So my usual "go to" mode, is to write words down on a page. I put my "faith" in words. Usually, this ability to write things down is an essential tool in my kit-bag. My humble way of trying to process the moments of a day. Sometimes the moments are indigestible. There's no way to convey or sum up the chaotic stew of thoughts and emotions swirling around inside my body and head.

The news of the day in America 2020: riots, fire in the streets, pain, suffering, violence, bad-blood, mayhem. The exposure of deep wounds in the fabric of our country. Wounds that have never healed.

Sometimes words fail. Sometimes you actually come up empty. All I can do is repeat some key words that ring in my head this morning: Peace, Justice, Love, Equality, Fraternity, Community.

I hope for some kind of dawning of the light. Some openness to Truth, Reality, a Reckoning, Reconciliation. A Better, More Just, Equal and Loving Union.  It may be an idealistic dream, but it's a dream to stake our lives upon.

The a.m. soundtrack - Rabin Abou-Khalil's "Blue Camel." (1992). As they say, "Arabic Music" fused with Jazz. So gorgeous. Wordless. Resonates. Hard to convey the beauty. Cuts across time and culture. A heady trip. Rabih About-Khalil plays an oud and it sets the tone for the record. What's an oud? - "The oud is a short-neck lute-type, pear-shaped stringed instrument with 11 or 13 strings grouped in 5 or 6 courses. The oud is very similar to modern lutes, and also to Western lutes. The modern oud is most likely derived from the Assyrian Lute."

Blog Archive