Faux Fu

Monday, July 09, 2007

Retreads


There are handful of movies that I can watch over and over. I mean, they are like friends. I go back to them to get refreshed, recharged, re-inspired. I'm not saying these are the greatest movies ever made (although some of them might be in that category), but they are movies that are rewarding, they always make me feel good. Last night, I watched one of them again, it's called "Fearless Freaks." It's a documentary about the Flaming Lips (psychedelic freaks from Oklahoma!). There's something about their lead singer/songwriter Wayne Coyne. He's an optimistic, charismatic dude who isn't afraid to look life and death in the face. The scene where he mows his lawn in bright green rubber boots always brings a smile to my face. What a refreshing soul.

Anyway, here's a quick list of some of my favorite movie retreads, most of these are offbeat, quirky and have great soundtracks: Donnie Darko, The Big Lebowski, Dead Man, Easy Rider, Rushmore, Dig!, Boogie Nights, Mean Streets, We Jam Econo, Twenty Four Hour Party People, Hedwig and the Angry Inch, Days of Heaven, the Passenger, Last Tango in Paris, Apocalypse Now, Ed Wood, Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas, the Harder They Come, Taxi Driver.

Some of them are funny, some of them are sad, a few of them are sad and funny, which in my book (if I had one), is perfection!

Blog Archive