Faux Fu

Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Mayan Apocalyspe Now - "Will they say he was a wise man?"


There was a story in the NYTimes Sunday Magazine about the end times. It's a popular subject. Seems the Mayans, who may have been descendants of extra-terrestrials, were very astronomically engaged and they figured out some grand galaxian equinox which will occur around 2012. Not exactly sure what happens then. One guy talked about silver ships coming down and taking folks away, leaving the more spiritually enhanced (that's you brothers and sisters!) to live a simpler, cleaner more enlightened existence. Some folks talked the old apocalyptic schtick, you know fire and ice and cataclysm. Sounds like it might be a wild ride.

One thing that really resonated with me was the idea that politics, religion and economics as they are now manifested in our daily lives are completely failing us. These pillars of civilization are disconnected, out of whack and basically corrupt and useless. So we have global warming and peak oil, and war and crazy ass leaders out of touch with nature and basic human decency. And when it comes down to it, our grand Western experiment is doomed! (The Lovely Carla finds this kind of unsettling, I'm more in the Alfred E. Newman camp - "What? Me Worry?"). I mean, I guess if we're all somehow fucked, I figure I'll make it through somehow, someway. I'm not a worrier. Although, when the heavy shit comes down maybe I'll wish I did a little more planning! Amen brother!

Many years ago, the Lovely Carla and I actually visited one of the ancient Mayan sites - Chichen Itza. It was a powerful, mind-blowing trip. I remember sitting at the top of a pyramid staring into the heavens, wondering where all those Mayans went. I also remembering thinking I'd never make it down that pyramid in one piece.

So, well, 2012 isn't that far off, and change is good, right? I'm taking one day at time...I'll be happy if I can make it to lunch. Hey, now that's a goal!

Blog Archive