Faux Fu

Friday, July 06, 2007

Crazy Ass Dreams


"Another fine mess you've gotten me into." Another one of those lines that one character never said to another...but it's what everyone thought Ollie was always saying to Stan in those old-time Laurel & Hardy movies. Those guys are "branded on my brain." If you haven't seen them, catch Penn & Teller some time and you'll get the act - the fat one, the skinny one, the one who talks, the one who doesn't...a perfect comedy duo.

Anyway, the Lovely Carla and I use the phrase frequently. When one or the other of us find ourselves in some adventure or escapade intstigated by the other. You know your relationship is working if you each indulge the other's crazy ass dreams. I mean this literally. One of us has a crazy ass dream and then since we are both believers in the "secret message," the prophetic insight, we go off and enact what was given to us in our slumbers.

So that meant that yesterday we were gathering dead trees and branches in a forest preserve (it's a bad sign when you need a preserve to actually find a forest). We were looking for "interesting" dead trees and branches. You know one, when you see one. We then bungy-corded a small dead forest to the roof of our rented car and drove across the cityscape at about 30 mph with our hazards blinking away like a speed freak.

We unloaded our little dead haul at our friend's studio, where we are slowly (but surely) building a movie set. It's all part of some grand plan which I haven't actually seen, or I mean, I've seen bits and pieces of it in my head and as related to me by my lovely co-collaborator, (some of our best stuff comes when our eyes are closed and we're barely conscious - go figure!), but really, I've just seen a few fractured pieces of the puzzle and not sure what it will all add up to.

So, yes, just as Macbeth discovered, sometimes the forest does move! I guess our motto would be "we follow our crazy ass dreams where they lead us!" Hopefully they don't lead us off a cliff...and if they do...well, who knows, maybe it will be a good ride!?

Blog Archive