Faux Fu

Wednesday, July 04, 2007

July 4th - State of the Nation - FUBAR!


I highly recommend Michael Moore's new movie, "Sicko." It's another eye-opening documentary, in a long line of excellent work from Mr. Moore (Roger & Me, Bowling for Columbine, Farenheit 911 - plus don't forget his book, "Dude, Where's My County?"). If you want to know a little bit about the American Nightmare (It co-exists with the American Dream - it's just the mirror image), there's no better primer than Michael Moore's work.

I must say, I came out of the film, on fire, jumping out of my skin. I think it's the result, not only of a perfectly realized indictment of our present healthcare system (it is total lunacy!) but an accumulation of outrages that have been building up daily. How many outrages can dance on the head of a pin? Let's see if I can count the ways this old USA (I realize I am writing these words on July 4th!) is totally fucked up beyond all repair (FUBAR!).

Maybe I'll just make a list of things that obviously aren't working anymore: our economic system (unlimited growth in nature is called CANCER!), our political class (bribery is built into the system - we actually reward the corrupt!), healthcare (see the movie - we reward doctors not to treat people!), our Justice system (the Supreme Court is a fucking joke - see the Bush presidency, and the latest raft of decisions this term), Big Business (it's a pyramid club, a ponzi scheme, check out global warming, our poisoned food chain, the raping & plundering of natural resources beyond any rationality!), IRAQ (what the fuck can I say about that debacle? We were lied into a war! Cheney and Bush are our Milosevic, our Stalin, our very own, homegrown WAR CRIMINALS!), Katrina (poor people die, or are kicked to the gutter - the wealthy get some new prime development land - more strip malls coming soon!), etc.

I think the list could go on for a long time, but finally if you're outraged every day it starts to take a toll. It's not just an accumulation of events, it's what we value, how we live, it's systemic, this beast we have created is devouring us. How not to get totally demoralized?! Not exactly sure. Somehow voting my conscience just doesn't seem to be enough...

I do think this country is fucked up (it's the only word that encapsulates it!) beyond repair. We are so deluded, so self-satisfied, so dumb, we are swimming in our own excrement and we think it's great. I walked out of the movie last night thinking I must figure out how to get out. I'm "mad as hell and can't take it anymore." And well, if I stay, I'm just fucking endorsing it all, just giving it all a pass...that's not a tenable strategy anymore. I'm gonna google Montreal this morning...there must be a more rational way to live...?!

Blog Archive