Wednesday, June 06, 2018
Meat is Murder, Yes, Of Course!
I am a total music geek. I am a big fan of the series of books on famous albums printed by 33 1/3. I have read a healthy number of books in the series so far. I jump around and betray my musical tastes: Led Zeppelin's "Zoso," Neil Young's "Harvest," Patti Smith's "Horses," My Bloody Valentines' "Loveless," the "Velvet Underground & Nico," Bob Dylan's "Highway 61," the Rolling Stones' "Exile on Main Street," Big Star's "Radio City, " Talking Head's "Fear of Music," Radiohead's "Kid A," The Beatles' "Let it Be," David Bowie's "Low," U2's "Achtung Baby," Sigur Ros "()"
I just finished Joe Pernice's "Meat is Murder," by the Smiths. When I bought it I figured it would be a track by track analysis of the record, like some of the others I have read. But I guess the beauty of the series is each book is a bit different, it is up to each author how they want to tackle the album, and the artist, and how they figure themselves in the story.
In Joe Pernice's case you get "fiction." Which, if I knew going in, I might have avoided. I am so glad I just bought the book without any idea. It is brilliant, beautiful, funny, powerful. A perfect evocation of growing up in a Catholic High School. Young. Desperate. Bored. Hormones hopping. Dealing with all the peer pressures. Girls. Sports. Popularity.
If you've ever been a teenager, if you went to high school, don't worry, you can relate to this brilliant little book. Joe is writing about a school in Boston in 1985: Reagan, "Just Say No," AIDs, Suicide, Alienation, Asthma, Catholic Nuns.
If you lived through the 80's this will all ring true. Plus of course, the Smith's great record is the soundtrack. As the blurb says: "In this brilliant novella Joe Pernice tells the story of an asthmatic kid's discovery of Meat is Murder."
- ► 2019 (346)
- "What Would We Do Without Wishful Thinking?" - Jef...
- Black Robed Guy Compromised Too! Hah!
- "Sometimes things don't work out... Sometimes thin...
- The Future is Unwritten - Let's Make it More Progr...
- "Self-Justification is a Specialty of Mankind." - ...
- "WE ARE ALREADY ON THE SLIPPERY SLOPE!" - DAVID RO...
- Sometimes the Message is Just the Message. Was tha...
- Johnny Depp - Heading for Calamity!
- An Unfolding Horror Story...
- Little Moron to Rat Out Big Moron?!
- Seems He Only Feels Powerful By Making Other Folks...
- Absolute Evil Shit.
- The Old Gods Still Live Amongst Us!
- It is Happening Here. Now.
- Intellectual Honesty!
- For Every Existential Crisis There Is A Cure...
- Silent Witness to Madness.
- Turns out Jesus in America is Actually Satan in Am...
- Yes. Life Affirming - The Consolations of Art!
- Small Piece of Light.
- "The Worst and the Dimmest!"
- Eros Vs. Thanatos...
- Hate to See Him Go...
- I Tried to Be Invisible Most of the Time.
- Meat is Murder, Yes, Of Course!
- The Idiot God-King is an Idiot, But Not a God, Nor...
- The Narcissistic Sociopath In Chief...
- Not Healthy People!
- Tom Arnold?! Yes. Tom Arnold - Truth-Teller!
- This Damnable Liar!
- ▼ June (30)
- ► 2017 (365)
- ► 2016 (366)
- ► 2015 (365)
- ► 2014 (365)
- ► 2013 (365)
- ► 2012 (366)
- ► 2011 (365)
- ► 2010 (370)
- ► 2009 (366)
- ► 2008 (360)
- ► 2007 (285)
- ► 2006 (183)
- ► 2005 (350)