Faux Fu

Monday, October 18, 2004

Every Man Needs Protection

Monday morning, dark; slept like a dead man.

The weekend was devoted to theater; excellent rehearsals, I upgraded the lighting and sound system. Music is always a big part of our productions. I've inserted a few of my all-time favorite songs into 'Goodbar': The Stone's 'Gimme Shelter,' Neil Young's 'My My, Hey, Hey,' The Sex Pistol's 'God Save the Queen,' Jimi Hendrix's 'Freedom,' and The Who's 'Overture.' The music is so good, I'm disappointed when we fade it out, to let the actors speak.

'Goodbar,' is a real freak production: an amalgam of things I've culled from the life of Howard Hughes, visions of Richard Nixon, Lennon and Harrison dabbling with LSD, modern string theory, odd slapstick, Errol and Sean Flynn, and the madness at Guantanamo Bay. Rashid is the 'radical anchor,' of the production, it is his plight, in prison, powerless, vunerable, a suspected 'terrorist.' The ultimate measure of a society is how we treat the 'least amongst us,' Rashid is one of the 'least.'

We end with Nina Simone's version of Dylan's 'I Shall be Released,'... 'I see my light come shining, from the West down to the East, any day now, any day now, I shall be released...'

Blog Archive