Faux Fu

Wednesday, October 06, 2004

The Bridge

I'm at a hotel in the shadow of the Brooklyn Bridge. I walked the bridge yesterday afternoon (about an hour back and forth), it is an incredible structure that connects Brooklyn to Manhattan. The bridge took 14 years to construct, 24 people died in the constructing. It is a 'suspension' bridge, a remarkable feat. There is a bike/walking path that takes you above the traffic, above the water; to the west, there's the Statue of Liberty looking sort of small and 'toy-like.' Yesterday was a beautiful, clear autumn afternoon in New York. I sat on a bench at the foot of the bridge, practiced lines from my play, and watched the swirling, mad carnival of people and traffic. The streets are alive, the city is a large system, a structure, an animal with an incredible roiling energy. I just surfed the energy, alive in my own lonely bubble.

I walked down Court Street in Brooklyn (Cobble Heights) and found a nice restuarant (salmon, cucumber/avocado soup). I ate well, then went back to my room to watch the VP debate. My only comment: an old, sick man sat next to a young, vibrant man; they talked about alternate universes.

I'm here for a business conference. Today I'm to set up a booth at the conference hotel. It's all just show biz. I'm playing National Account Manager, sort of a 'high tech' Willy Loman. All I have is a 'shoe shine and a smile.' Anyway, the Marriott is my home for a few days. The internet connection is good, the coffee is not. Since I'm on a little Shakespeare kick, I'm thinking of checking out a new staging of 'Othello,' at BAM. Hope I can get tickets tonight.

Blog Archive