Faux Fu

Sunday, October 17, 2004

Dancing in the Dark

Yesterday, I sacrificed it all for Black Forest. Rehearsal started at 10:00 a..m., I didn't leave until 10:30 p.m. We had a good, solid run-through of the show with the full cast, then I stayed after to address lighting and sound issues. I added another dimmer to the lighting design. Then I struggled with setting up a new sound system. I couldn't quite get it to work. Electronics is not my strong suit.

I took the red line home. Saturday night on the red line is humbling. It is a very interesting demographic. Street people, party-goers, the floatsam and jetsam of life. The cold wind was whipping, nothing like standing on an el platform late at night, waiting for a train. Up early, to finish the DVD of the video we shot and cut.

Warren Zevon used to sing a song, 'I'll Sleep When I'm Dead.' He paid the price for living the rock and roll lifestyle by taking an early exit. I'm figuring, I'll sleep when I get home tonight.

This morning I hear a Lakota Indian on the radio talking about the 'great spirit,' and how the divinity is in all things of the universe. By smudging themselves with herbs, they take in a little of the universal energy. Dark forces, taken in small doses makes one stronger: life is a process of 'acceptance,' not 'resistance.' Instead of a battle of dark and light, it is a dance.

Blog Archive