Back home feels good. Quite a trip, Montreal offers some of the best of city living: a vibrant, diverse, human culture.
The only negative: from the city to the airport, too many cars, too much pavement.
It seems we believe technology will save us; at the same time our advanced technology is choking us, seperating us from nature, drowning us in the culture of machines.
The cab ride from O'Hare to home: ugly streets, strip malls, endless suburban sprawl. Bland, parking-lot, ugliness, everywhere.
The City of Big Shoulders and Flabby Bellies. The Midwest grows them big, bland, slow-moving --- kind of like the bloated cows that become juicy burgers on over-loaded plates.
Of course, Chicago is too big, too diverse, to be one thing. The beauty of a 'city' is the incredible energy of millions of people: every shape, every size, every race, creed, color spilling into the streets like some frenetic 24 hour carnival (see especially New York City).
I bought a t-shirt in a little shop in Old Montreal. My new credo: 'Life is... to eat, to sleep, to skate.' Of course, for me to skate is a metaphor, as per Jethro Tull: 'skating away, on the thin ice, of a new day.'
- ► 2020 (189)
- ► 2019 (364)
- ► 2018 (365)
- ► 2017 (365)
- ► 2016 (366)
- ► 2015 (365)
- ► 2014 (365)
- ► 2013 (365)
- ► 2012 (366)
- ► 2011 (365)
- ► 2010 (370)
- ► 2009 (366)
- ► 2008 (360)
- ► 2007 (285)
- ► 2006 (183)
- ► 2005 (350)
- Equisite Lonliness
- 'I'm a Ford Not a Lincoln' -- G. Ford, 1976
- Performing for the Trees
- A One Time Affair
- The Salt March
- Beyond Success
- The Sky is Crying
- As Time Goes By
- 'Magic is a one time affair'
- Google Abbie Hoffman
- Never Mind
- In the dark this morning. No sun. The light must...
- Patchy fog this morning. Woke up with that old Po...
- What kind of 'glasses' should I wear? The kind th...
- Yesterday seemed like a week; Rehearsal, Abbie Hof...
- To bed late (a dinner party at the neighbors), up ...
- The play's the thing. The last two rehearsals (to...
- What's important? To find some 'authenticity' in ...
- Back home feels good. Quite a trip, Montreal offe...
- Hello old friend. My blog has become my conscienc...
- A new man today. The hard edginess, from lack of s...
- Everything is different this morning. Different be...
- Rehearsal today, then a flight to Montreal tonight...
- Yesterday: played hooky, Huck Finn in a Sonata. A...
- Not exactly 'dog days.' A cool front has moved in...
- Stormy night, stormy day. Yesterday was the per...
- Little moments finally add up to something, but in...
- The 'FireSign Theater,' had an album entitled, 'We...
- Up early, bright, alive. Energy: where does it ...
- ▼ August (29)