Faux Fu

Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Duchamp, Duchimp, Duchump!

I wrote about Michael Bracewell's amazing book on Roxy Music and POP ART here when I first read it.  I'm actually re-reading it now.


I think there is something so exciting about that POP moment that exploded in the 60's.  And it dawned on me that Richard Hamilton, England's prime "Duchampian," was a huge influence on me back when I was just a bright-eyed little boy.  Well before I knew what a "Duchampian" could be.


The first piece of "art" that I ever put up on my bedroom wall when I was just a wee lad was Hamilton's Beatles poster...



And I think the first "art-work" I ever created was my own little Beatles collage which I tacked up next to it.  Whatever happened to it?  And the first rock and roll album I ever owned, (the cover was designed by Hamilton), and called my own was "The White Album."


There was something breath-taking about that cover.  Really.  Something about the pure whiteness of it that was mysterious, and captivating.


What's funny, I realize all these many years later that I am basically a "collagist" in the Hamiltonian mode.  Whether I'm writing a play for Black Forest, or writing a song for whitewolfsonicprincess, I am taking bits and pieces from many different influences and putting them together.  Trying to make new, connected things out of many unconnected things.  Very, very Richard Hamilton channeling Duchamp!

Blog Archive