Faux Fu

Sunday, November 14, 2004

Pure Light of the Void

Nirvana! Last night's 'Goodbar,' show was an absolute blast. One of the actors (Pat McDonald), 'bought the house,' invited 30 friends, and as our 'friendly audience,' they joined us on our little 'trip,' of a play. What an immensely satisfying experience. The cues were 'tight,' line readings were sublime, everyone in the cast found new meanings, and levels. At the same time, we were loose, there was a freedom, a comfort with the text, a dynamic, easy comarderie. Pure joy.

Afterwards, I heard words like: 'amazing,' 'fabulous,' 'wonderful,' 'strange.' A couple of people wanted me to 'explain,' the piece. I can't say that I'm really up to the task. How about one of those public service announcements: 'this is your brain, this is your brain on drugs.' One guy came up to me, shook my hand, and told me that he understood it all. He saw the threads, the connections...he connected Howard Hughes with Nixon, he knew all about Dr. Hoffman and Sandoz Laboratories...

There's a touch of sadness in all of this...nirvana is not forever, at least not in this realm...the moment of joy appears, expands, and as you bring it to your breast...it slowly, dissipates, finally vanishes...but it exists...I have held it in the palm of my hand...a light unlike any other...

Blog Archive