Faux Fu

Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Fire in the Mind

I am working on some 'big deals,' but they are moving so slowly, it really is like watching paint dry. So I need to find a million ways not to go completely batty with boredom.

Maybe this explains, Black Forest, the plays, the performing. I fill my life with 'manufactured,' drama, this is necessary, because I work extra hard not to get caught up in the day to day soap opera.

I like to see life through someone else's eyes, so I'm attracted to biographies, histories. This becomes my 'material.' I understand the idea of 'writing from your own experience,' but I also think it's important to journey outside yourself (is it possible?), to imagine another life, to assume another voice.

So I'm submerged in Elizabethan intrigue at the moment. Christopher Marlowe, famous playwright, atheist, homosexual; was he an anti-catholic spy? And what was his relationship with the Earl of Northumberland (also known as the 'Wizard Earl'). Was Marlowe killed in a simple 'bar fight,' or was there some more nefarious, secret, purpose? 'The Reckoning,' has totally fired my imagination.

I'm 'time-tripping,' and it's such a sweet obsession.

Blog Archive