Faux Fu

Thursday, June 25, 2020

Our Politics/Our Religion

Who knew?

That our Politics would be our Religion?

Who knew that every action and decision would be guided by our Politics?

Who knew that wearing a mask in a the middle of a global pandemic would be a political act? Who knew that even believing we are in the middle of a global pandemic would be a political act?

Who knew that caring about the health and viability of the interweaved Ecosystem that supports all life on the planet would be a Democratic thing?

Who knew that taking actions to stay safe and healthy meant you were probably a Progressive, Blue-State Democrat?

Funny. Yes. It's true, my politics dictate that I believe in Science, in a Progressive agenda of Human Rights, Social Justice and Equality.

I believe that we are responsible for our actions. That it is up to us to strive for a better world for all. Who knew that that vision was a deeply political act, and that the other side would do all it could to deny, deflect, and sabotage any attempts at progress?

It true. There is a deep divide in America. Blue vs. Red. It's hard to believe. But it is true. From this side of the divide, looking across to the other side, all I see is ignorance, racism, anti-intellectualism, anti-science, anti-human-rights, a decided intention not to face the reality of our human condition. A conservative, Red-State stubbornness and denialism. It's amazing & baffling. A determined reactionary backwardness that we constantly need to battle.

The a.m soundtrack - Silence. I tried to play Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros' "Streetcore" (2003), but the BOSE system tells me: "disc unplayable." Bummer. I really wanted to hear Joe's voice this morning. He does a fabulous version of Bob Marley's "Redemption Song" on this record. The record was completed after Joe's untimely death. It kind of serves as an epitaph. So, anyway, I conjure up Joe singing Marley's song in my head this morning. The soundtrack in my head. "Oh pirates, yes, they rob I..."

Blog Archive