Faux Fu

Monday, June 22, 2020

"Ordinary Sad-Ass Humanness" - Wm. Gibson

I am reading William Gibson's novel "Peripheral." I am so happy to be reading a William Gibson novel. I've read many. He is brilliant, a writer of distinction, a writer of big ideas, pushing the present-now forward into a future-now present. Or something like that. What's always great, and exciting and rewarding: the big ideas are married to a vivid reality, the ideas are conveyed by solid characters, who are always navigating a complex world that looks very much like our world, but pushed.

Exciting. Revealing. Enlightening.

Looking for a good narrative to get you through a pandemic? You can't go wrong with Gibson.

Last night, reading in bed, I came to chapter 101, page 414 of my paperback copy. Love this chapter title, it rang a bell in my head...

101. Ordinary Sad-Ass Humanness.

I spoke the words out-loud, and remarked, for no-one to hear: Exactly!

The a.m soundtrack - Dr. John's "Gumbo" (1972). Authentic. Real. Vivid. Soulful. Funky. The city, the musical history of New Orleans bleeds across these tracks. Joy. Pleasure. Sexy. Old-timey. Good vibes. Classic tunes. Loose. Analog. The musicianship throughout is extraordinary. A treasure trove of great sounds.

Blog Archive