Faux Fu

Saturday, April 05, 2014

These Queens!

Since I was the one who came up with whitewolfsonicprincess, I am a little bit sensitive about "band names."  I get those vacant looks of incomprehension, I get those sideways smiles, I get those mumbled "Huhs?" and even those "Oh cools."

Queens of the Stone Age. Never took this band seriously. The name conjured up a loud and unmusical Hair Metal Band. Maybe a loud and unmusical Gay Hair Metal Band. Which isn't a bad thing, but not the thing I was interested in sitting down and listening to.

And then I saw Josh Homme. He's big, burly, I thought he was a screamer, or one of those guys who specialized in "rage."  Well it turns out he's much more complicated and interesting than that, he's got a great voice, can do some nice upper register singing, he's a killer guitar player and an accomplished songwriter.

A friend turned me onto this band, and their newest record "Like Clockwork" has really captivated me.  I hear a layered, very musical record, I hear a big guitar sound, I hear a very tight, focused band exploring new territory. I hear a trace of David Bowie in Josh's voice. And that's a good influence.

These Queens really bring it.  Sometimes a name, an image really doesn't tell the story, at all. This track features Elton John on piano. Yes. Sir Elton John!


Blog Archive