Faux Fu

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

"Don't Eat Meat"

Hey, sorry, if you eat meat, I understand. I used to eat meat too. I must confess, I was a meat-eater.

I was brought up in a family where it was steak and potatoes, and burgers and brats and bologna, and fried chicken. Not a day went by without eating meat. Since we were Catholics, we also, for a time, had fish on Fridays. Not exactly sure why. Something to do with Jesus getting hung up on a Friday, and well, that meant we should eat fish. Go figure.

I've been a vegetarian for a long time now. I mean, I was, then I wasn't, and now I am again. It's not that hard to do. And there are a million reasons why it's a good idea. Save the planet, save your arteries, avoid all that death in the meat industry.

It seems we are running out of fish. And our beef industry creates these bloated, unhealthy animals (shooting them up with massive doses of antibiotics) that live really sucky lives, and then we kill them, and eat them and their overall suckiness is passed onto us.

We start to resemble the things we eat. Check out your local hospital sometime to see how good that's working out.

Al Gore's buddy tells us that if the meat-eaters, just one day a week went native, I mean, vegetarian, we could cut down on Global Warming by a whole lot. We cut down all those beautiful rain-forests for the fast food industry. That really sucks!

I don't know, as Madonna once said, "Papa Don't Preach." We hate to hear that guy on the street corner telling us we're going to hell. Do what you want. But you know, there's a world of vegetables just waiting for you. And they don't squeal when you chop them up.

UPDATE: And if you like Tomatoes, check out Melissa's site for all the many ways you can make a Tomato sing!

Blog Archive