Faux Fu

Thursday, October 13, 2005

"All the leaves are brown..." - J. Phillips

The story goes that John Phillips woke up in the middle of the night with a tune and a fragment of lyrics for a song. He woke up Michelle Phillips and had her write them down for him on notebook at their bedside. The song was later recorded ("California Dreaming") and became a number one hit for the Mamas and the Papas. Michelle shared the royalties (She wrote it down!). You can still hear that song on radio stations across the land today.

Last night, I was visited by the Sci-Fi writer, Philip K. Dick. We were in conversation. He turned to me and imparted a nugget of wisdom. The words were so startling, so profound, I woke up with a start. I repeated the sentence silently to myself, and then went back to sleep.

This morning, my mind is blank. I can't for the life of me remember Philip Dick's words. One man's "solid gold," is another's "blank slate." And so the story goes.

Blog Archive