Faux Fu

Wednesday, May 29, 2024

"Lighted Fools..."

 I always loved William Shakespeare's "Macbeth" (1606). I think it may be the shortest play he ever wrote, or maybe not, maybe it's the only the shortest one of his that I have read. 

I have seen some magnificent filmed version's of the play, including fantastic movies starring Orson Welles, and Denzel Washington in the title role. And have also seen a wonderful, live in the theater version too. 

I suppose the play is dark, gloomy, violent. Human jelousy and "murder most foul," in the pursuit of power and acclaim.  Also madness, guilt, bad blood, bad action, dastardly bad deeds. It depicts a dark, troubled land, a world gone tilt, because of a nasty lust for power.

There are the three strange, spell-casting witches: "bubble, bubble, toil & trouble." And brilliant, captivating language through-out. The play has a relentless, careening, gale-force, narrative thru-line. 

It is a brilliant work of thrilling black-magic. And then there's this little monologue. It was floating thru my head this sunny morning. I wonder what the day will bring? I mean having this in my head doesn't bum me out. I feel alive with poetic lines flowing thru my whole body. Life, it's the all about dark and light forces dancing and bouncing off each other. Oh Macbeth, sorry to say, yes, the trees of Dunsinane will come marching to your door...

Speech: “Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow”


(from Macbeth, spoken by Macbeth)

Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Blog Archive