Faux Fu

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

On Being the Picky Fly!

Yes, when it comes to pop culture, to what's popular, it's hard not to come to the conclusion that there is an inverse relationship between popularity and quality. The more popular - the less quality. You know, that "lowest common denominator" thing. There are exceptions to the rule. But they are rare.

This may sound "elitist" or something. But I think of it as being a "picky fly!"

As a wee lad, I remember seeing the image below in my crumpled copy of National Lampoon Magazine, (a Junk Food Magazine?!) I mean, I think it was this image. It's the same sentiment. And it's been embedded deep in my psyche ever since.

Pop Culture at it's worst is Fast Food Nation. Think Junk Food. Empty calories. And think about it across the consumer spectrum. Junk Food Music, Junk Food Movies, Junk Food Art, Junk Food TV,  Junk Food Food, etc. Think blockbuster! Mega-seller! The Superstar Stuff. We binge on this crap. And our herd mentality takes over. So if we think every last fly thinks it's good, it must be good, right?!

That is what marketing/advertising is all about...



Blog Archive