Faux Fu

Friday, December 01, 2023

A Thorny Conundrum...

Objective vs Subjective: "The basic difference between objective and subjective information is that objective information is based on facts, while subjective information, or a subjective perspective, is based on opinion, emotion, or feelings." 

A thorny conundrum. 

Of course Human Beings are subjective instruments, navigating an objective Universe. Human Beings are also objects in that Universe. Much of our pain & suffering, and misunderstanding seems to come from the clash of objective vs. subjective.

It's up to us to see, hear, feel; to discover facts, and to interpret those facts as best we can. As William Blake once wrote: "We are prisoners of our senses five." Math & Physics are awesome tools that appear to be really good at interpreting and predicting how the Universe acts.

But maybe it is poetry, theater, music, that gets us closer to a heartfelt, real understanding of the what hell is going on in the Universe and the ordinary life of a Human Being?

Human Beings are not very good at being totally objective, we are flawed; tricky, complicated.  We are stuck in the Human. A very subjective thing, indeed. A thorny conundrum. Yes.

Heady topic. Kind of a philosophical riddle. One wonders if the whole objective/subjective thing is just another misunderstanding, a misapprehension and mis-perception of the Universe. Maybe our Human Brains and things we conjure up are just off-target? Who knows?!

How did I get on this thought-train? Ha. I am thinking of buying another pair of headphones. On the hunt for the perfect sound. It probably doesn't exist. Another shimmering chimera dancing just out of reach. Another mystery that can only be solved by my own very subjective experience. I have been studying charts, soundwaves, frequency reponses. Comparing specificaitons. 

Still, in my heart of hearts, I know that it's all a crap-shoot. How will these headphones fit, feel & sound to me? My head, my ears, my body. How do those vibrations get intrepreted by my very human instrument? Super-subjetive. No doubt. Funny. Thorny.

Blog Archive