Faux Fu

Friday, August 11, 2023

Lucky & Happy...

Things to do. A reason to get up. A reason to get out. Responsibilities. Being responsible, doing responsible things.

I think of Sisyphus.  His fate was to push a boulder up a hill and watch it roll back down. His never-ending responsibility, to do that task over and over.  

Albert Camus wrote that we should imagine Sisyphus "happy." He was lucky, a happy camper. He had a mission. A reason to get up. Did he ever wonder why that boulder-pushing was his fate? Did he ever wonder why he spent his days doing a seemingly pointless thing? Over and over?

Who knows? It was all just a myth anyway. 

So I have lots of tasks, responsibilities, places to be, things to do today, and over the next few days. I suppose I can choose to be a happy camper. I am tasked with things even less consequential than Sisyphus. No boulders. No hills. Basically I will be picking up pebbles, moving them from one place, and putting them in another place, and then a bit the later moving them back to where they were to begin with.

Ha. A mission. A thing to do. I guess best not to think of it all as a burden, or a thankless job. I sometimes do get thanked. So, no, I will be like Sisyphus: lucky, happy. Ha!

Blog Archive