Faux Fu

Friday, August 25, 2023

Heat Dome Vs. Human!

Heat Dome Came. Heat Dome Conquered. Heat Dome left.

Yes. Heat Dome was here for two days. Two very hot, sticky, oppressive days. My advice? Don't tangle with Heat Dome. Even a brief encounter with Heat Dome can knock you on your ass. 

On the first day of our Midwestern-style Heat Dome I was a bit over-confident and cavalier. Too much Heat Dome makes the baby go blind. No. Didn't go blind but the Unseen Hand came down upon me, and squeezed.

Day two, dancing around 100 degrees, with the air quality "poor," and humidity off the charts, I was much more circumspect. Picked my spots. Kept to the shade. Made short work of being out in the elements, drank lots of water, and other, non-alcoholic, & refreshing liquids.

Let's just say Heat Dome is supremely Un-Cool. 

Late afternoon I chilled out on a big, comfy couch with audiophile headphones, a Walkman CD player, and the Grateful Dead: "Pacific Northwest '73–'74: Believe It If You Need It." A thrilling three-CD set. I know so very Hippie of me. But yes, I believe, and I need. Music is my main healing miracle cure. Fabulous live music, the Dead at a particularly exciting peak, fronting the amazing, over the top, logistically-ridiculous, "Wall of Sound" p.a. system. Jerry Garcia's guitar is an extraordinary, natural wonder, the band ensemble playing is totally magical, fun and inspiring. Alchemical!

Today the forecast: temps in the 70's.  Ha. Very Copacetic.

Blog Archive