Faux Fu

Wednesday, June 14, 2023

Life is Learning Lessons...

And what is the lesson? If we don't learn from our experiences doesn't it mean then that we are Deserving Idiots? Other useful descriptors: Moron, Fool, Clown, Dolt.

I nearly killed myself on my very light, very fast, very, very cool bike (see previous post) on Monday. It's a flashy racing bike that I have been using for tooling around town. It is certainly the wrong tool for my needs. I didn't realize how truly, madly, deeply that purchase was so dangerously foolish and wrong until I found myself on the pavement in a bloody heap. I did the inventory this morning, beaten, bruised, stiff, creaky. It feels like someone took a baseball bat to key parts of my body. Not the lesson I wanted.

I also marvel at how I didn't break a bone, a wrist, a finger, didn't crack my head. Sure, I have a few nasty contusions and abrasions, but man, oh man, did I dodge a silver bullet? Yes, indeed.

Yesterday I rolled the bike back to the bike shop, told them my tale of woe: in the face of a wildly careening car, I was riding too fast, braked too hard, went flying over handlebars onto the hard, blacktop. Sure, I'll admit, it  was a case of operator error. But the design of the bike too, sort of lends itself to a "catapult effect," (the bike stopped on a dime, the rider's momentum sent him flying forward towards oblivion), I am sure there is some mathematical equation that explains it all: Speed x Momentum x Stupidity = Mayhem.  The catapult effect. I came up with that catchy phrase myself.

I worked out a trade. I am going to trade the cool, flashy one for an older, heavier, much clunkier model. That is so much more in line with me. That's the lesson. I think about all of my most prized possessions: a big old clunky acoustic guitar, an old, bulky, Sony Walkman, a pair of old, reliable Grado Headphones, those little old-tech shining CDs, old beat Levis, old beat Timberland Boots, an ancient coffeemaker, a homely Fender Telecaster electric guitar, a classic, old tube amp, a classic home stereo system with big clunky components & old-world speakers. Everything I truly value is old, clunky, a bit beat, a bit slow to the tempo of the world flashing around me. I am all those things too. Lesson learned. Happy to be alive to recount the the tale. Be less like the fast & flashy Hare, and more like the slow and methodical, one step at a time Turtle.  Slow, methodical, beat, clunky. Yes, that's the ticket.

Blog Archive