Faux Fu

Sunday, April 26, 2020

Music for the Pandemic.

A little self-promotion this a.m.

"King Snake." A new whitewolfsonicprincess song. It was inspired by a Gillian Welch song about Elvis. I wanted to write an "Elvis song," but it ended up going in another direction. A strange, surreal narrative poured out of me. The lyrics came before the Global Pandemic, but I think the lyrics take on an added resonance in these pandemic times.

If you pressed me about this one, I'd say the song was about the "fear we can't kill." A fear that is always with us. This is just a duo version of the song. We started working on this one with our band, and then the lockdown happened. So left to our own devices we took a crack at it. This is just me on acoustic and electric guitar, plus mini-Moog synth, and my partner in crime, Carla on vocals & percussion. Cover art by my Mom. Recorded on a small Tascam DR-05 digital recorder, (two condenser mics onboard), finessed a bit in GarageBand. Homemade Lo-Fi.

I feel good about this one, the first time a mini-Moog makes an appearance on an official WWSP song. I do imagine that once we get back to working on it with the band, a much different approach will emerge. Anyway, this one is stripped down, just the essentials. You can stream and purchase via Bandcamp.



The a.m soundtrack - Isobel Campbell & Mark Lanegan - "Hawk"  (2010). A fabulous collaborative record. Two great voices, male & female. Beautifully realized songs. 2 Townes Van Zandt covers. Isobel composed the rest of the tunes. Gorgeous melodies. A cool breeze. Light. Graceful. Inspiring. Love the strings. This one really grows on you. A subtle, beautiful, life-affirming record. A blast of sweet cool.

Blog Archive