Faux Fu

Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Desperate.

"Yes. You are desperate."

That was a line floating in my head in the middle of the night. Sleeping deeply, engulfed in total blackness. Early this a.m. I woke with the lingering vapor of that line still in my consciousness. Weird. I don't feel desperate. But, you know, who knows?

We are still in the first stages of a global pandemic. The economy is crashed, and crashing. No one really knows what's next. The virus is loose in the land. Folks are falling ill, and many are dying. A vaccine seems like a distant glimmer in the eye. Some folks seem to think we are returning to some sense of "normalcy," if you asked me, that seems supremely delusional.

Still healthy. Still eating. Still have $ to keep going. But really, for how long?! I have no idea. What is on the other side of pandemic? Beats me. How does all this turn out? Good question.

The a.m. soundtrack - Chrissie Hynde - "Stockholm."  (2014). From what I can gather, via Marc Maron's interview with her on WTF, Chrissie Hynde was a shy-badass; from a young age she was into r&r and bad boys. She was a stone-cold biker-chick. It took her a few years of chasing after r&r idols, and a trip to London, to finally discover her own voice. Luminaries who rise up in her saga: Lou Reed & the Velvets, Beatles, Stones, Bowie, T-Rex, and then in the later 70's, Lemmy Kilmister of Motorhead, the Clash, Malcolm McLaren, Vivienne Westwood, the Sex Pistols, and the Damned. What a life. What a great r&r heroine. I like this record. It's billed as a "solo" record, but there are 25 people credited in the making of it. Neil Young guests on one track. Tennis legend (!?) John McEnroe too. It's kind of smoothly confected power pop. The best thing is Chrissie. Her voice, her attitude. It is a great uncommon thing. She exudes cool. She has an edge to her. There is also a softness, a grace in her voice too. The track with Neil Young really is my favorite. Makes me wonder, what if Chrissie could do a whole record with Neil Young and Crazy Horse as her backing band? R&R Killer.

Blog Archive