Faux Fu

Monday, June 01, 2015

A Collection of "Off-Kilterness"

Our band hosted an afternoon "variety show" yesterday. It was an odd collection of acts. Poetry, theater, comedy and music. It was sort of mini-circus, or a really oddly programmed set. Lots of things, pretty much unalike, presented together. 

It was my idea, and I put all those acts on the bill, so of course, I just thought it was brilliant. I really love all those acts, those odd souls. Lots of laughs. Lots of cool sounds and images.

There was stand-up from Elizabeth Gomez, garage rock from The Rut, mad poetry and story-telling from KC Chronis, surreal and hilarious theater from Citizen's Relief, dazzling exuberant go-go dancing from the Revelettes, and music from the always mind-bending Gunnelpumpers, and our band too.

Talking afterwards I realized that just like me, many of these folks always feel on the "outside looking in." Oddballs, misfits, weirdos. Every one of them has a little bit of an off-kilterness about them. And each of them has something unique to offer.

That's so inspiring to me. The audience was small. But that's ok. The folks that did show up seemed to really enjoy the variety. So yes, a Sunday afternoon variety show. What a great idea! Long live the odd jobs!

Blog Archive