Faux Fu

Wednesday, June 05, 2013

How Many Close Calls Do You Get?

How many "close calls" do you get? I can think of about 5 or 6 for me in my lifetime so far. Yesterday had another one. I was in the street, just crossing the street, and a young, attractive woman in an SUV-type vehicle made a bold turn, she floored it to cut across on-coming traffic. She didn't see me. I was in mid-stride, in the middle of the street, just ambling across the street. 

Luckily, she cut it sharp, really sharp, and whizzed right past me, just a step away from calamity. She did look over and out the passenger-side window, she finally saw me as she hurtled past me. There was a look of surprise on her face, an "oh my god," kind of look.

I barely had time to react, in fact I didn't react, it all happened so fast, I was at the mercy of the moment. It was only afterwards, when she was gone, that I was left to replay just what had transpired. I could imagine myself being flattened by the big, shiny, hulking vehicle. I do know that if that turn was slightly less sharp, I would have been splattered on the pavement. No doubt.

I imagined broken bones, blood on the road. Crushed road-kill. It didn't happen that way. But very, very close. A very close call. 

Blog Archive