Faux Fu

Saturday, December 01, 2007

"What's the world got in store, for you?" - Jeff Tweedy


A storm is coming tonight. I mean besides the winter storm that's supposed to whap us upside the head. A rock show is coming to the Red Line Tap tonight, featuring three of my favorite bands (yes, I'm biased, I'm in two of them). The Cells, The Telepaths and WWSP are joining forces to help the kids. That's right, it's a Toys for Tots benefit. Raising toys and cash for needy children.

It should be a real r&r blast. I've seen the Cells once before, they are led by a true rock and roll original, the human jukebox himself Cory Hance. Cory is a charismatic dude who writes, sings and plays with passion, verve, excitement. He's a true rock and roll star. The Cells are one of the great bands in the City.

The Telepaths are my band of brothers. Like minded musical anarchists working in the trenches of the rough and tumble trench of garage rock. I play guitar, Cory is on bass, Peter is our drummer and Patrick is our vocalist. I don't exactly know what it is, but put us in a room together and sparks ignite. There's a wildness, a sloppiness about our approach, and that's where the excitement begins. You just don't know what's gonna happen. We are oh so "telepathic," in that whatever we do sounds unmistakably like us. But we really have no idea of what's coming next. Tonight we will have a special guest, Tiffany Tarpit, from a great band that is no longer with us. She will be fronting the band on "Fresh 24," check out the song. We don't exactly play it like that, but should be a highlight of tonight's set.

Then there's WWSP my labor of love with the lovely Carla. She fronts a sweetly whimsical bunch - Sara on bass, Sanjay on drums, me on guitar. It's quite the journey. We are still jelling working on an ever-expanding set of originals. It's one of the most intensely creative, and exciting projects I've ever had the pleasure of participating in.

Anyway, hope you can make the show. I'm sure to have some words about it tomorrow!

Blog Archive