Faux Fu

Tuesday, July 04, 2023

Choosing To Be Here...

Events have conspired over the last few days so that I didn't have to be any place I didn't want to be. Or alternatively, if I was in a place, it was only because I chose to be there, I was not being paid to be anywhere. Kind of a rare thing for me, I am a long-time schlepper and working-stiff.  It was an agreeable state to be in. A hiatus. A break. A breather. A time-out. A mini-vacation. I had lots of time to just drift, meditate, sip coffee, quietly contemplate nothing, listen to music: The Who's Quadrophrenia (1973), Modest Mouse's We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank (2007), Steely Dan's Gaucho  (1980), Brian Eno's fabulous ambient records including: Ambient 2: The Plateaux of Mirror (1980) & Evening Star (Fripp & Eno album) (1975). Masterpiece albums all. 

I also started reading Roberto Bolano The Last Interview and Other Conversations. I am one of those folks who believes that listening to great music, reading great books, paying attention to the great artists is essential, opens our heads and hearts, deepens our souls, makes us better people, and the world a better, more human and inspiring place.

Feeding the head, feeding the heart & soul too. 

I have been on the road to health after my cataclysmic bike crash nearly 3 weeks ago. Eating well. Sleeping well. Religiously using Arnica Gel and Bio-Freeze, two very helpful, healing salves, highly recommended. Surprisingly, I am nearly back to being pain-free. Most of the stiffness and pain has vanished. I am always amazed by the healing powers of a Human Body, including mine.

And the atmosphere around here has taken a turn for the better. We went from Apocalyptic to Pretty Nice. The toxic smoke faded away, the winds changed, the rains came, and suddenly, yesterday it was sunny, clear, and beautiful. We rode our bikes, sat on a bench, laughed and loved the moment to moment. It all seemed like a happy reprieve. Day to day. That's the way to live. Take it as it comes. I do have some appointed rounds today. It is a Holiday for many, but back to being a hired hand for me. But that's OK. The big thing is to keep the game going forward. Head held high. Always onto something.

Blog Archive