Faux Fu

Friday, July 28, 2023

New Age "Action Jackson!"

My friend was on the bench. It was pretty damn hot yesterday, still, no doubt, we are lucky, we live near a big body of water named Lake Michigan, and it is usually "cooler by the lake." There was a friendly cooling breeze flying across the lake to caress us and there were big, leafy trees providing little spots of oasis-shade. I was down aways from the bench walking towards my waiting friend. It had been a long morning and early afternoon of trudging the neighborhood in the heat and humidity.  We were meeting for a little "time-out," cool drinks and cool conversation. I was a little worse for wear, sweaty, tired, a bit brittle, walking sort of gingerly. Thinking: "One step at a time, AND, Every step counts!"

When I arrived at the bench my friend exclaimed with a devilish laugh: "We should make an action figure of you. You know, a little character with boots, t-shirt, sunglasses, bandana, and hand them out to everyone we know." 

Ha. Ha. I knew what she was saying. As you navigate this globe, as you do enough circles around the world that add up to decades upon decades of living, hard and not so hard, you become that crusty, odiferous, uniquely-you character you always imagined yourself to be. I think it's best to be a character actor, not a leading man type, you have far less to fall when you inevitably do fall. And all the unique falling adds up to something agreeably uncommon.

Right. Got it. Call me: A New-Age "Action Jackson."

Blog Archive