Faux Fu

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Rage On Sinead!


I sort of lost track of Sinead O'Conner. And I don't know why. Her first two records are absolutely thrilling and amazing and beautiful. And fiery too. I still listen to them once in awhile. I also think "Am I Not Your Girl?" and "Universal Mother" are quite good. I just put her last record, "I'm Not Bossy, I'm the Boss" (I heard that it's great) on my "wish list," hope to get a copy soon.

I came across this story in Rolling Stone yesterday.  It reminded me that Sinead is not afraid to speak her mind. She wears her heart on her sleeve. She is not afraid of controversy. She seeks it out. She has a fire and feistiness that's impressive. She is a throw-back, an artist with a chip on her shoulder, sort of like John Lennon, she's the kind of artist who will rip up a picture of the Pope on national TV, and get banished. Not exactly a smart commercial move, but it was great theater. And well, that's certainly another reason I really think she's wonderful. Plus, of course, that voice.

She also is not afraid to take on other music makers. She takes a shot at her fellow Irish rockers, U2 (which makes me happy): "What they did with iTunes was a badly judged move, there was something almost terrorist about it. I'm not really a U2 fan but it wasn't all kosher invading people's lives like that. It was bad management."

She also takes on Lady Gaga, Miley Cyrus and Prince (and don't you just know Sinead could probably kick Prince's ass?). Rage On Sinead O'Connor - Love You!

Blog Archive