Faux Fu

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Master Guitar-Builder

The glue didn't hold.  So my old trusty Hohner guitar has been sitting idle.  There is nothing sadder than a broken guitar.  And this particular guitar has been a long-time companion.  It's been by my side through thick and thin.

Some friends have counseled me to just "give it up."  It's not a collectible. It's not a Martin or a Taylor or a Guild.  I mean hell, Hohner is not famous for it's guitars, Hohner is a freaking harmonica making company!

But you know, it's been my guitar for such a long time.  It would be like giving up one of my hands, or arms or legs.  As they say, "sentimental value!"

So last night, I found myself in the workshop of a Master Guitar-Builder.  There were saws, and lathes, and fresh slabs of wood waiting for their turn to become instruments.

And the prognosis was pretty good.  The word from the Master Guitar-Builder: "It's not so bad." So it looks like no major surgery, but some fancy wood-work is in order.  He's gonna sand the broken neck,  re-glue it, and add some little ebony splines to reinforce it.

Then it should be good as new. At least that's the plan.  We'll see.

Blog Archive