Faux Fu

Saturday, April 02, 2011

Big Star's Lost Masterpiece - I Finally Found It!

Is it possible my favorite record of the moment, which I just discovered a couple days ago at the used CD store, was recorded in 1975, was shelved as too uncommercial, and was the swan song for an unlucky, un-star-crossed band?

Yes, it is possible.

I'm talking about Big Star's "Sister Lovers," I guess it's also known as "Third." It's certainly a strange, unholy mess, packed with weird and beautiful music. Some kind of pop masterpiece, featuring one of the greatest vocalists to stand in front of a microphone - Alex Chilton.

I don't know how I missed this record, this band. I was vaguely aware of Chilton from his number one Top Forty hit "The Letter" recorded with the Box Tops, a band he fronted, when he was 16 years old. I was also aware that Chilton died in 2010.

Anyway, I'm totally bowled over and captivated by this record. It's amazing, beautiful, funny, sloppy, all over the map. I guess Alex was struggling to make a career, and he was at war with the producers and the demands of the record industry. Seems Alex had the saboteur working inside him, (it shows on some of the cuts) even as he had a stunning creative spirit coursing through him.

There are so many take your breath away tracks: Femme Fatale, Kanga Roo, O Dana, Big Black Car, Holocaust, Dream Lover, Take Care. My Rykodisc version has bonus tracks, live stuff, a cover of a Kinks song, Whole Lot of Shakin Going On too. It all works in some left-handed, off-kilter way...

Highly recommended. One of my favorites discs of all time for sure!

Blog Archive