Faux Fu

Monday, April 06, 2009

Just America

I was out on the streets of the big city Saturday night. I was in my own little bubble of genial bliss. Listening to Green Day and the Who.

I'm not sure what it was, but as I watched the passing scene, the people, the cars, the pulse of a busy metropolis, this incredible and overwhelming sense of violence and danger came over me. It was just something in the air. So strong I could almost touch it, smell it.

Nothing in particular happened. It was just like a passing cloud or fog. It seemed as real as death. I can' explain it. It was just something I sensed and couldn't shake.

It was with me the next morning in kind of a hang-over although I had not altered my consciousness with any chemicals or beverages. Nothing stronger than coffee and chocolate. I just thought that I had picked up the general vibe of the night, the city.

We are a land of drugs (legal and illegal) and guns. We are awash in the need to desensitize ourselves with chemicals, we are armed to the teeth preparing for an enemy who lurks in the mirror.

And sometimes it seems the door is coming off it's hinges. The frames are crumbling. What emerges from the haze of narcotics and concealed handguns? Not sure, just America my friends.

Blog Archive