Faux Fu

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

“I can smell burning flesh and I hope to god it’s human!” - Morrissey

Ever since I was a wee lad, I've always been partial to those songwriters who could write a good lyric. I think Bob Dylan, John Lennon and Paul Simon probably set the standard for me. Plus later I discovered some other guys, especially Johnny Mercer who wrote some killer songs, literate, sophisticated and funny.

I recently read a book on Roxy Music and ever since, I've been obsessing over some of the great British lyricists. My favorites include, Ray Davies, Bryan Ferry, Pete Townsend, Robyn Hitchcock and Morrissey. I'm especially a big fan of the Smiths, one of those great bands that really sounded like no one else. Sort of fey and precious. The Smiths are another instance of a great collaborative effort between a singer and a guitar player (Morrissey and Johnny Marr).

By the way, Morrissey played a set at the recent Coachella festival. He is a long-time vegetarian and as the story goes...

The wafting smell of the hamburger and gyro stands made it to the crooner’s nostrils. Morrissey grimaced and then gagged. “I can smell burning flesh and I hope to god it’s human!”

Indeed!

Cut to the YouTube a nice video montage featuring a Smiths song created by someone out in internet-land!

Blog Archive