Yesterday the Lovely Carla and I found ourselves browsing the Occult Bookstore in the Flat Iron Building (we were in the building visiting my brother's art studio - part of the Coyote Arts Fest). There was some kind of low-level murmuring coming from behind a bookshelf, we both heard it, we looked at each other and simultaneously mouthed: Rosemary's Baby! We didn't buy a book, (later at Quimby's I scored a copy of "Divine Invasions," a biography of Philip K. Dick, written by Lawrence Sutin, who by the way, also wrote a book on the mystic, shyster, wild man, Aleister Crowley - later Jimmy Page of Led Zepplen bought Crowley's old castle haunt, rumour has it that Page, blew his mind, dabbling in Crowley's dark, occult secrets), but I was reminded of my in-depth fascination with the mystical/occult tradition.
Macrocosm/Microcosm. "As above, so below." We are carbon-based bipeds, brothers and sisters to the carbon-based, swirling balls of fire in the sky which we call "stars." What a strange, bizzare, unfathomable world we live in...
At the art studio, my brother displayed a selection of his dark, soulful paintings as well as a few key pieces painted by my father. My father had a fascination with color and space, his paintings are starkly colorful, boldly beautiful. It's a touching tribute to see his art out in the world, so vibrant and alive.
I was reminded of the phrase (did I coin it?): lose a man, lose a universe. The mystery: a man is a universe, and at the same time, he is contained by a universe. As we pass, (I'm beginning to understand the concept of "generations," - Kesey - gone, HST - gone, Ginsberg - gone, Harrison - gone) do we pass into a greater, higher, realm?
- ► 2020 (186)
- ► 2019 (364)
- ► 2018 (365)
- ► 2017 (365)
- ► 2016 (366)
- ► 2015 (365)
- ► 2014 (365)
- ► 2013 (365)
- ► 2012 (366)
- ► 2011 (365)
- ► 2010 (370)
- ► 2009 (366)
- ► 2008 (360)
- ► 2007 (285)
- ► 2006 (183)
- Consciousness - Wetness, Transparency, an Earthquake
- "The Marriage of Heaven and Hell" - Wm. Blake
- Conspiracy of Dunces
- The Conversation
- "What do you see when you turn out the light...?" ...
- "The Lemon Song" - Led Zeppelin
- "50 Million Flies can't be wrong." - Mad Magazine
- "I'm a swirling vortex!?" - Jimmy Page, R&R Magus
- We must do what we must do
- "Was I born to fly and run away?" - C. Marlowe
- A Moon Cult
- P.K. Dick - Gnostic Prophet
- "Killed by Death" - (seen on a t-shirt on Belmont...
- Johnny Pilgrim tells it like it is...
- Some of Dick's Questions (Kurt Godel's too.)
- Philip K. Dick says, "Wake Up!"
- "Spider? What Spider?"
- A Beam of Light
- Lose a Man, Lose a Universe
- "It's my party, and I'll cry if I want to..." - Le...
- Notes to Black
- Let's play a game: the water, the sky!
- More than Gorgeous
- The Doorway
- "May you build a ladder to the stars, and climb on...
- "A Working Class Hero is something to be..." - J....
- "Memories are traces of tears." Wong Kar Wai
- Death in New Orleans
- The Watchman
- ▼ September (30)