Faux Fu

Friday, July 08, 2005

London Calling

As the news wafted in from London yesterday, a tremendous, "world-weariness," overcame me. My first thought was for the people; the suffering, the deaths. These attacks are directed at free, urban-dwellers, rush-hour commuters, those who use public transportation, innocent bystanders; we know this can happen anywhere, anytime. I feel a solidarity with those who suffer and I am amazed and appalled at how much pain, suffering and death human beings are willing to wreak upon each other.

My second thought, which may betray my cynicism, my disgust with our leaders ("don't follow leaders, watch for parking meters..."), how will BushCo. use this for political advantage? It is so clear that our "war on terrorism," is off target. It is so clear that those in power do not have the equipment, (the temperment, the intelligence, the understanding) to really deal with the reality-based community of the world. Our corrosive political culture seems to be a part of the problem, not part of the solution.

We must not lose sight of the light, even in the depths of darkness...

Blog Archive