Faux Fu

Tuesday, July 19, 2005

A Cheerful Blockhead

Ian Dury (now gone) and the BlockHeads had a hit in the 80's (or was it the late 70's) called, "Reasons to be Cheerful, Part I." Don't really remember the reasons, so I'll make up a few of my own.

The CHEERFUL BLOCKHEAD LIST:
1. The Universe is expanding.
2. We are descended from monkeys.
3. Progress, salvation, free will are all illusory.
4. We came from darkness, we are heading to darkness (the classic dust to dust).
5. Adults are essentially damaged children.
6. Rust never sleeps.
7. You're never gonna get that shetland pony.
8. Something is going to kill each and every one of us.

So, I'm sitting here, I recheck the list, I speak the words out loud, I take them into my consciousness, and STILL a feeling of good cheer comes over me this morning. Happiness settles on my shoulder like a little bird, daring me to be "bummed out." Nope, not gonna do it, wouldn't be prudent, I am inexplicably full of cheer, and that Grateful Dead song plays on my internal record machine: "Lately it occurs to me, what a long strange trip it's been." Amen.

Blog Archive