I've been noodling over an article I read in Friday's NY Times entitled "One Hundred Years of Uncertainty." It's by Brian Greene who has written about SuperString Theory in "The Elegant Universe." Greene writes about Albert Einstein, and the series of papers he wrote in 1905. Out of one of the papers was spawned Quantum Mechanics which describes a kind of 'spooky' universe, where there is no certainty, only probabilities. What we call 'reality' is just a bunch of jostling possibilities, that we 'force' (by observing the observed) into an outcome. So we live in a cosmos whose internal workings are highly uncertain. Our common perception is merely a definitive-looking veneer.
OK sounds kind of kooky, but Quantum Mechanic's mathematics has "helped to make some of the most precise predictions in the history of science." One the one hand, this is all kind of disturbing, our perceptions are proven (again) to be illusory, but the universe is alive with probabilities and possibilities beyond our imaginings. Isn't that a more hopeful, exciting and mysterious universe to live in? It may be reassuring to live in a world of certainties, but this appears to be illusion; if we live in a world of probabilities, lets make our best guesses, lay down our bets, and see what happens!
- ► 2020 (189)
- ► 2019 (364)
- ► 2018 (365)
- ► 2017 (365)
- ► 2016 (366)
- ► 2015 (365)
- ► 2014 (365)
- ► 2013 (365)
- ► 2012 (366)
- ► 2011 (365)
- ► 2010 (370)
- ► 2009 (366)
- ► 2008 (360)
- ► 2007 (285)
- ► 2006 (183)
- Saigon Falls, Ho Chi Minh City Rises!
- "Where are You Going, My Darling Young One?" - B. ...
- The Brain = Abbie Normal!
- "Beisball, has been berry, berry good to me." - G....
- Is there a Relativist in this Monkey House?
- "I've Been Down So Long, It Looks Like Up to Me." ...
- "I Ain't Gonna Be Your Dog." - Chester Burnett (a...
- Share the Dream
- "What are you rebelling against?" "What d'ya got?...
- "Now, that's something that looks better with pant...
- "Address the Ball." "Hello, Ball!"
- Golf is an Old Man's Game
- A Small Day
- Turn Up Your Amusement!
- The Empire Strikes Back
- Don't Glove the Knuckles!
- "Come Down off the Cross We Can Use the Wood" - T....
- Noodling Probability
- The Leisure Suit
- Oh, Sweet Dumpling!
- "Strange Brew, Look What's Inside of You" - Cream
- "When the Thrasher Comes I'll Know it's Time to Gi...
- Road Movie
- "Yonder Stands the Orphan with His Gun..." B. Dylan
- Two Women
- "A Long Strange Trip" - The Grateful Dead
- Solid Gold
- The Buddha of No Ego, No Buddha
- ▼ April (29)