Faux Fu

Thursday, September 25, 2014

"Subvert some part of my mind..." - J. Tweedy



I haven't snagged a copy of Jeff Tweedy's new record yet. You know the one called "Sukierae" with his new band called Tweedy that features his son Spencer on drums? But I did recently buy "One True Vine," the record he produced for Mavis Staples, and that record is superb, (Jeff wrote some of the best songs and he and Spencer do most of the heavy lifting) absolutely great, so "Sukierae" is on my "wish list."

I do think Jeff Tweedy is one of our best songwriters and performers. Love his work with Wilco. A soulful, heartfelt voice, and a smart and intriguing songwriter. Tweedy seems grounded in the work, in the long-term process of being an artist.

I love this from an interview with The Quietus about his process of writing songs:

"I think just divine discontent, or boredom (laughs)! Sort of shake myself out of... subvert my ego, subvert some part of my mind that I don't trust as much as my subconscious." - J. Tweedy

Blog Archive