Faux Fu

Saturday, July 05, 2014

Strangely Enlightening!

"Do you believe in Magic?" It was a Lovin Spoonful song. I think it's a loaded question. Loaded in the right way. It's chock full of contradictory potential.

I do think there is Magic in the world. Especially in the sense of unexplained and maybe unexplainable "strange and mysterious forces," that have some kind of power over us. I suppose Science could explain these forces, but something tells me that even the explanations would leave a door open to mystery.

I also think Magic is a trick, a trick of the mind. And we like to be tricked and astonished. So we willingly engage in the magic game. I think music and poetry are branches of magic. These arts have a power that isn't totally comprehensible. But there is a real power there. And it can be evoked. And when it works it's very, very exciting and rewarding.

Astonishment and wonder - it makes the world, and the things in it, more bearable and more entertaining, and strangely enlightening too.

Blog Archive