Faux Fu

Thursday, July 10, 2014

A Quotable Wallace Shawn!

I remember reading a quote from the actor and playwright Wallace Shawn that went something like this, but probably not exactly like this, (I couldn't find it on a Google search), "Nothing is ever what you think it is, or think it's going to be."

I always thought that was the height of wisdom. And makes you realize that what we think and fear can often be pointless and contrary to what actually happens in our lives.

Anyway, looking for a quote that either really exists, or not, led me to this article about Shawn and his playwriting.  Other great quotes in the article.

"I mean I don't know anything about the real world, and as an actor I'm part of pop culture, but I'm not really part of pop culture."

And this too:

"Sex always comes as some kind of unexpected element that jostles our way about thinking about ourselves. The fact that we are part of nature comes as a complete shock about 500 times a day."

Blog Archive