Faux Fu

Monday, May 20, 2013

Addicted to Addiction

Addicted to addiction (see previous post).  Some of us have what is called an addictive personality and all that comes with it: impulsive, alienated, anti-social, sensation-seeking, tolerance for deviance, high value of nonconformance, weak commitment to goals... etc.

I mean what's the problem? No, really, I mean, of course, yes, I'm an addict. Aren't you?  I think most of us are addicted to something. And I know that much of my activity could probably be seen as addictive behavior.

I think the key to an interesting life is to pick your addictions wisely.  Hard drugs? Not a good choice. Jack Daniels Whiskey - are you fricking crazy?!  Cheap, dangerous thrills? Well, maybe.

I am certainly addicted to music. And coffee, and Pop Culture. And frozen yogurt. And literature. And asthma medicine.  And meditation. And well, just about anything that gets me motivated. I tend to want to swallow it whole. And gratify myself until I'm completely gratified.

I don't eat chocolate or cake often - but when I do, I want to eat every last piece, every last crumb.  As Oscar Wilde once commented: "I can resist anything but temptation."

I can see it's a problem. But it's also a feature. A curse and a blessing. Some of these addictions work and some don't. You want to seek out the ones that do... if you can.

Blog Archive