Faux Fu

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

A Hard Day's Night

Working on music a lot lately. Along with working on our own music, (I write songs of my own, as well as write songs with two very strong song writing collaborators), I've been practicing singing and playing Beatles tunes. Which is it's own unique challenge and kick. Of course, these songs are some of the best pop tunes in the canon.

I've been working my way through this amazing book, The Beatles Complete Chord Songbook. It was originally published in 2000, it is a really great resource. My resident Beatles expert, Mr. Mo. confirms that it is very, very accurate. You will uncover all kinds of interesting musical insights. Just what was that ringing chord George Harrison played at the beginning of "A Hard Day's Night"?!

Anyway, working with this book is like going to music school. I think it's one of the best ways to learn how a good pop song works. You have three very distinct voices - McCartney, Lennon, Harrison. And it's great to watch how their musical know-how develops over the course of their Beatles careers.

And of course their singing voices, their melodies, their harmonies are just absolutely exquisite. Trying to do a decent version of "Yesterday," or "Let It Be," or "Don't Let Me Down," or "Strawberry Fields," or "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" is humbling and exciting too. It's also instructive to find out what your fingers and voice can and cannot do.

And then again, sometimes sitting on the floor of my kitchen working on one of these songs, my guitar and my voice brings one of them to life. And the energy of these amazing songs and song writers kind of courses through me. And that is amazing!

Blog Archive